[physfs] Adding Support for Custom Archives

Christoph Nelles evilazrael at evilazrael.de
Fri Aug 6 20:09:32 EDT 2010

Am 07.08.2010 01:58, schrieb Kip Warner:
> The lack of a C++ interface isn't any more of a bad thing than OpenGL
> not having a C++ interface. Both having a C interface gives me more
> flexibility in how I can wrap them attractively into my engine.

+1

> The missing pluginable archivers however I thought was strange, but
> fortunately I don't think it is difficult to add support for.
>
>> And if you do make your changes, what would you do with them? Would
>> you
>> release your /own/ branch of Phys? I agree that these changes would be
>> nice,
>> but it sounds like you'd be better off rolling out a quick library of
>> your
>> own that contains the functionality that you need rather than retro
>> fit them
>> into a library that wasn't designed to support them.
>
> My game is released under the GPLv3, so releasing my archiver is not a
> problem. See https://www.avaneya.com/faq.html#opensource

And if you have a stable plugin architecture it makes it easier to keep
your new archiver in your own code as long as it does get into the main
distribution if that should happen at all. Of course you can fork off
your own branch just for adding your own archiver or whatever. But do
you really want to keep that in sync?

I think a little more flexibility would be nice and makes future
enhancements easier.

--
Christoph Nelles

E-Mail    : evilazrael at evilazrael.de
Jabber    : eazrael at evilazrael.net      ICQ       : 78819723

PGP-Key   : ID 0x424FB55B on subkeys.pgp.net
            or http://evilazrael.net/pgp.txt