[physfs] Adding Support for Custom Archives

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Fri Aug 6 19:58:22 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 08:09 +0100, Oli Wilkinson wrote:

> It does sound as if you're wanting some functionality that PhysFs
> doesn't
> offer, and didn't offer when you came across the library - namely
> pluggable
> archivers and a C++ interface. Did you look around for any other
> solutions
> that would fit your needs better?

The lack of a C++ interface isn't any more of a bad thing than OpenGL
not having a C++ interface. Both having a C interface gives me more
flexibility in how I can wrap them attractively into my engine.

The missing pluginable archivers however I thought was strange, but
fortunately I don't think it is difficult to add support for.

> And if you do make your changes, what would you do with them? Would
> you
> release your /own/ branch of Phys? I agree that these changes would be
> nice,
> but it sounds like you'd be better off rolling out a quick library of
> your
> own that contains the functionality that you need rather than retro
> fit them
> into a library that wasn't designed to support them.
>
> Cheers
>
> Oli

My game is released under the GPLv3, so releasing my archiver is not a
problem. See https://www.avaneya.com/faq.html#opensource

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred