PhysicsFS autoconf, again.

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Fri Jun 28 02:40:45 EDT 2002

I think I've got the physfs build system working universally.

Any automake less than verison 1.5 is a friggin' nightmare to work with.
Legacy autoconf/automake support totally removes the elegance of the
system, I swear.

Still, I think I've got it working now. Please do a fresh checkout from
CVS (if you do an update, make sure ./Makefile.am is removed), and rerun
the ./bootstrap script. This will move either Makefile.am.oldautomake or
Makefile.am.newautomake to Makefile.am. You now are dependent on Perl to
make this work.

On Mac OS X, the "new" Makefile.am has two copies of the same stuff to
work around a bug in their build system. I pray this still works on BeOS.

I just wrote this, and already I can't wait to rip it out when distros
start upgrading to automake 1.5. If it gives me more than ten more minutes
worth of trouble, I'm ripping it out immediately and telling individuals
to upgrade themselves and stop bitching; this is what the GNU project
seems to do with their programs, so it seems to be an acceptable solution
to me.

Note that building from an official tarball avoids all this shit, since
the configure script and such is already generated.