[obdgpslogger] Experience with default buld on OSX

Robert Konigsberg konigsberg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 12:04:23 EDT 2010

OK! Updates!

Short version, and more comments are inlined.

I got everything working, even the GUI. The problem is that the GUI thinks
that the logger is in the PATH, so if it isn't, startup operations fail, but
they fail without error. (That took me about three hours or so to figure
out. :))

May I suggest a sanity test for the logger app when pressing "Go"?

I've been coding in some #define DEBUG stuff (Yeah, yuck, but hey, it saved
my bacon. It logs to a file because of the forked processes and closed file
resources.) Do you want to incorporate any of that?

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Gary Briggs <chunky at icculus.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 07:04:04AM -0400, Robert Konigsberg wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've sent some of this information privately to Gary, but have made
> progress
> > since then, and also, want to use the mailing list.
> >
> > Short version:
> > * odbgpslogger has a source 0.15 version.
> > * Gary has built a 0.11 OSX version, but it's hard-coded such that it
> > doesn't work unless your username is chunky?
>
> Close but not quite :-)
>
> It's actually linked against a dynamic library for gpsd [oops], which
> happened to be in my home directory and linked with the full path. So
> not really a username-related issue, but an idiocy-on-my-part issue.
>
> Totally my bad.

No worries. Building my own release helped a lot.

 > OK, so some trial and error and I'm mostly there with the source.
> >
> > To get this to build on my Mac, I downloaded CMake (from cmake.org, not
> from
> > fink, because fink's version of cmake is too old.)
>
> Really? I think I'm using the one in Fink. If you're not already, you
> should definitely enable unstable with "fink config", as the "stable"
> stuff is oftentimes "archaic", in my experience. This sounds like one of
> those cases :-)

I've abandoned fink entirely and have downloaded source from everywhere. (I
have sqlite already, fun! yay!)

> As for fluid, it's part of fltk. Since you're using fink, you might want
> to skip building your own fltk, and just install thus:
> fink install fltk-aqua fltk-aqua-shlibs

Building my own was a cinch. make + make install makes me feel like a
ninja.

Without fltk, I think the mac bundle will still build, but there's no
> way it'll do anything useful.

Well, to be fair, it did log to the database, and I could read it with
sqlite.

> If you don't have gpsd but want to use it, I documented how to build it
> a long time ago here:
> http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/obdii-gps-logger/132461-gpsd-osx.html

No need, my car does not have a GPS. I'll be using a Garmin GPS + an Android
app for tracking, which I'll have to xref later. (ugh)

--
Robert Konigsberg
konigsberg at gmail.com