[obdgpslogger] Experience with default buld on OSX

Gary Briggs chunky at icculus.org
Tue Jul 13 12:20:52 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:04:23PM -0400, Robert Konigsberg wrote:
> OK! Updates!
>
> Short version, and more comments are inlined.
>
> I got everything working, even the GUI. The problem is that the GUI thinks
> that the logger is in the PATH, so if it isn't, startup operations fail, but
> they fail without error. (That took me about three hours or so to figure
> out. :))

Huh, that's weird. When you start the GUI by double clicking the bundle,
it actually runs a script not just the naked binary, and that script
should set the PATH right.

Oh! Maybe you're trying to run the naked binary. Yes, you'll want to prefix
the right thing on the PATH before doing that. Or "make package" to
create the whole OSX dmg/app bundle.

> May I suggest a sanity test for the logger app when pressing "Go"?

Good idea!

> I've been coding in some #define DEBUG stuff (Yeah, yuck, but hey, it saved
> my bacon. It logs to a file because of the forked processes and closed file
> resources.) Do you want to incorporate any of that?

Feel free to send it in!

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Gary Briggs <chunky at icculus.org> wrote:
> >
> > It's actually linked against a dynamic library for gpsd [oops], which
> > happened to be in my home directory and linked with the full path. So
> > not really a username-related issue, but an idiocy-on-my-part issue.
> >
> > Totally my bad.
> >

> No worries. Building my own release helped a lot.

Yeah, that usually covers all kinds of sins :-)

>  > OK, so some trial and error and I'm mostly there with the source.
> > >
> > > To get this to build on my Mac, I downloaded CMake (from cmake.org, not
> > from
> > > fink, because fink's version of cmake is too old.)
> >
> > Really? I think I'm using the one in Fink. If you're not already, you
> > should definitely enable unstable with "fink config", as the "stable"
> > stuff is oftentimes "archaic", in my experience. This sounds like one of
> > those cases :-)
> >

> I've abandoned fink entirely and have downloaded source from everywhere. (I
> have sqlite already, fun! yay!)

Heh. I actually can't believe people manage without fink [or
darwinports], anymore :-)

SQLite is actually bundled with the logger source. Among other things:
1) That's the recommended way
2) I like building that at the same time, with the same options [Debug
vs Release, etc]. Symbols in libraries are nice when doing debug builds.
3) By statically linking it and letting your compiler go to town on the
"amalgam" package, you can get some hefty [15% or more] speed boosts.

> > As for fluid, it's part of fltk. Since you're using fink, you might want
> > to skip building your own fltk, and just install thus:
> > fink install fltk-aqua fltk-aqua-shlibs
> >

> Building my own was a cinch. make + make install makes me feel like a
> ninja.

Yeah, that's usually the easiest way to go :-)
Which version of fltk did you use? I usually use 1.1, since that's what
all the distros have, although I know it works with 1.3 too.

> > Without fltk, I think the mac bundle will still build, but there's no
> > way it'll do anything useful.
> >

> Well, to be fair, it did log to the database, and I could read it with
> sqlite.

Yeah, you can run logger yourself without a problem. There's a
distinction between just logger or the gui [naked binary], and the app
bundle.

> > If you don't have gpsd but want to use it, I documented how to build it
> > a long time ago here:
> > http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/obdii-gps-logger/132461-gpsd-osx.html
> >

> No need, my car does not have a GPS. I'll be using a Garmin GPS + an Android
> app for tracking, which I'll have to xref later. (ugh)

Ah, ok. It shouldn't actually be too difficult to join the two up later.
[you're getting out gpx traces?]

Depending on personal taste, I'm using one of these bad boys:
http://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-353-Waterproof-USB-Receiver/dp/B000PKX2KA
Which, at 40 bucks, is probably a pretty good deal for you. Might make a
few things easier?

Gary (-;