[mohaa] rcon commands

[-SF-]Shockwave shockwave at clanshortfuse.com
Wed Oct 23 20:00:34 EDT 2002

Hello Eduardo,

If someone is kicked, times out, or disconnects, you will get messages that
will show up in the game server log.  The best content is derived from
setting the developer cvar to "2".  Unfortunately, none of these messages
have any IP address information associated with them.

The server administration tool I developed uses this same log information to
identify players and track their connections to the server.  By parsing the
log data, it is possible to identify players as they connect and kick them.
This is how I have been able to successfully implement name and IP bans.
Even using this method, the log will record the events.  If you are looking
to debug what is happening, the first thing I would do is set the
"developer" cvar to "2" and ensure that the server is generating a log.  By
looking at the log file, you should be able to see what commands have been
issued.

Anyone who is kicked will show a 'broadcast: print "console: <playername>
has been kicked"' message if it was done with a server command.  Anyone
whose ping is too high will have messages sent to the log indicating their
connection was rejected due to a high ping.  Players who time out also have
similar messages that are recorded.  If an individual player issues a
command while connected to the server, a line is generated in the log that
begins with "clientCommand: <playername> : <command sequence number> :
<command name> <arguments>".  There are also detailed connection messages
that report on the multiple stages of how a player negotiates a connection
to the server.

I wouldn't immediately discount latency as a possible cause for some of
these occurrences.  I have seen instances where LAN connections have been
rejected due to high pings even with max ping set to "400" across a 100baseT
connection when everyone's pings are normally below 20ms.  Your best bet is
to enable the most detailed logging you can and go through it carefully
after something strange happens.  If it is someone using game server
commands, you'll know.

Shockwave