File and URL associations?

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Sun Feb 26 04:04:17 EST 2006

loki_setup can instruct Gnome/KDE to add a launcher for a given app to
their start bars, but is there some way to instruct Gnome/KDE to
consider this app as the document handler for a specific file extension
or mimetype? Do these window systems even support that sort of
functionality?

I'm researching the feasibility of adding, say, a .umod handler to
UT2007 that automatically installs a mod when you click on it, and maybe
also some sort of bookmark thing (a ".ut2007" file, for the sake of
argument) that launches the game and connects directly to a server.

Also interested in how to get these file handlers to be recognized by,
say, Firefox, so it can launch the handler for downloaded files directly.

And finally, URL handlers: we already have a "ut2004://" URL that
launches the game on Windows but not Linux, since there's no way I can
see to tell any part of Linux to do something specific when it sees
"ut2004://".

Is there any parts of this loki_setup can handle? Some of this is
probably beyond the installer's control if there aren't even de facto
standards in this area, but I was curious if anyone had insight into how
to solve these problems.

Thanks,
--ryan.