[lokisetup] Only Super User can install using Loki setup ? clarifications needed.

Stéphane Peter megastep at megastep.org
Wed Aug 3 20:48:15 EDT 2005

First of all, what version of Loki setup are you using? For the best
code with all the latest fixes, you should definitely get the latest
CVS checkout.

It is definitely possible to install software with Loki setup without
root privileges. A number of existing packages do just that. The
defaults usually assume /usr/local but you can change this in the
configuration file (setup.xml, look at README.xml for details). And
yes you can include home directories in the path if you need it.

It doesn't make sense to have both the installation path and binary
paths be the same, because of the way that these are achieved. The
binary path will contain a symlink to binaries installed in the
installation directories, so if these are the same then it would
otherwise try to replace the binary with a symlink to itself.

--
Stéphane Peter
megastep at megastep.org