[lokisetup] CDkey prompting...

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Wed Mar 3 02:38:04 EST 2004

> IMHO the installer is the wrong place for prompting for a CD key.
> The CD key belongs to a specific user and should therefore be stored
> in $HOME, not globally. Since the game has to validate the key
> anyway, it can also prompt the user to (re)enter one if it's missing
> or invalid.

I disagree; I've never seen a program on a desktop system that demands
each user own a CD key. I'm sure they exist, but they would have to be
the exception.

Secondly, I don't control most of the software I install with
loki_setup, so if the Windows program doesn't ask for a CD key, neither
does the linux port.

And, the practical matter: we _want_ the cdkey seperate from the game.
It wouldn't be hard to make an Unreal mod to mock up any UI we'd put in
the game to prompt for a key, and then you could have a very large key
heist fairly trivially. Keeping the key installation clearly seperate
helps prevent this.

--ryan.