[lokisetup] CDkey prompting...

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at gmx.de
Wed Mar 3 14:45:52 EST 2004

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:

> > IMHO the installer is the wrong place for prompting for a CD key.
> > The CD key belongs to a specific user and should therefore be stored
> > in $HOME, not globally. Since the game has to validate the key
> > anyway, it can also prompt the user to (re)enter one if it's missing
> > or invalid.
>
> I disagree; I've never seen a program on a desktop system that demands
> each user own a CD key. I'm sure they exist, but they would have to be
> the exception.

Well, Quake3. Ok, it is indeed an exceptional game :-)

> Secondly, I don't control most of the software I install with
> loki_setup, so if the Windows program doesn't ask for a CD key, neither
> does the linux port.

You could move the code you put into loki setup into a separate
binary that is called first from within the ut2004 startscript.

> And, the practical matter: we _want_ the cdkey seperate from the game.
> It wouldn't be hard to make an Unreal mod to mock up any UI we'd put in
> the game to prompt for a key, and then you could have a very large key
> heist fairly trivially. Keeping the key installation clearly seperate
> helps prevent this.

The mod could prompt for a CD key anyway and noone would become
suspicious. Mods also tend to have their own installers nowadays so
stealing the cd key or anything else is even more easy.

cu
Ludwig

(o_  Ludwig.Nussel at gmx.de
//\  PGP Key ID: FF8135CE