[lokisetup] Gnome 2.0...

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Mon Mar 1 09:26:30 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 03:14, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> Okay, I'm not nuts, Gnome menu installation is just straightup hosed in
> loki_setup, at least for gnome 2.0.
>
> The installation of the item itself appears to be correct, but now you
> need to update an XML file to get Gnome to notice it, which is lame as
> hell.

Wrong.  You just need to install the menu entries in a standards
compliant (http://www.freedesktop.org) manner, instead of using the
archaic "proprietary" GNOME/KDE/Debian/Mandrake/whoever methods.  If you
install a single standards-compliant .desktop file in
/usr/share/applications, the menu entry should appear perfectly fine in
modern GNOME, KDE, XFCE, ROX, etc.

Yes, that breaks compatibility with older versions of these desktop
systems, but then, the old proprietary menu formats broke compatibility
quite often as well, so it's rather a moot argument.  ;-)
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.