[lokisetup] setup v2 (was lokisetup for dummies)

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Mon Jan 5 12:15:59 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 12:06, Chunky Kibbles wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 03:40:04PM -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> <loads of examples of where I'm wrong snipped>
>
> > That is of course one of a vast array of possible situations.  I agree
> > in this case, but as mentioned above there are other situations
> > (especially on Linux/UNIX) where that is pure idealism and you simply
> > can't avoid it.
>
> I don't want to sound like I'm just bitching, but why are the current
> pre-install and post-install facilities not sufficient?

Again, a lot of software needs various components placed in different
places depending on the system.  RPM and other packaging systems don't
do this because the packages are intended for a single version of a
single distro.  Commercial vendors don't want that, and even a good
number of Free Software developers would rather not subject their users
to the headache of distro/version dependent packages.

Another example is the install configuration support that applications
which are not user-oriented need.  For example, a game may have a "first
run" wizard/druid/app for configuring its settings.  A print system may
have a configuration program.  A browser plugin that is capable of
connecting to one of three different available helper programs, on the
other hand, may need some configuration at install time.

Autopackage developers wants very much for installs to be painless, and
they've stated that interaction-less installs are a very high priority.
This will likely be implemented similar to how Debian's Debconf allows
packages to ask configuration questions, but these questions have
priorities and default answers allowing either rushed or merely
inexperienced users to bypass all but the most important questions.

To be honest, it may be best for some of this to be brought up on the
Autopackage mailing list.  The developers are likely quite willing to
work with the Loki Setup developers to find a good accord for both
parties.
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.