[lokisetup] setup v2 (was lokisetup for dummies)

Chunky Kibbles chunky at icculus.org
Mon Jan 5 13:24:13 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 12:15:59PM -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 12:06, Chunky Kibbles wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 03:40:04PM -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > <loads of examples of where I'm wrong snipped>
> >
> > > That is of course one of a vast array of possible situations.  I agree
> > > in this case, but as mentioned above there are other situations
> > > (especially on Linux/UNIX) where that is pure idealism and you simply
> > > can't avoid it.
> >
> > I don't want to sound like I'm just bitching, but why are the current
> > pre-install and post-install facilities not sufficient?
>
> Again, a lot of software needs various components placed in different
> places depending on the system.  RPM and other packaging systems don't
> do this because the packages are intended for a single version of a
> single distro.  Commercial vendors don't want that, and even a good
> number of Free Software developers would rather not subject their users
> to the headache of distro/version dependent packages.

Specific examples?

> Another example is the install configuration support that applications
> which are not user-oriented need.  For example, a game may have a "first
> run" wizard/druid/app for configuring its settings.  A print system may
> have a configuration program.  A browser plugin that is capable of
> connecting to one of three different available helper programs, on the
> other hand, may need some configuration at install time.

Hmm. Interesting, but that specific case is actually done, in the one
example I'm familiar with, post-install. Codeweavers install all their
stuff into {wherever}, and you can run the tool after installation
that you tell where various browsers are installed, and it then
installs and configures the plugins based on that. Plus, they even use
setup :-)

I'm not trying to simply poo-poo all your points, here, I'm simply
trying to work out what features it actually is that loki_setup
doesn't have that you want.

Something akin to debconf is mostly blue-sky and would pretty much
fail to make loki_setup smaller...

Gary (-;