[lokisetup] setup v2 (was lokisetup for dummies)

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Sat Jan 3 16:49:31 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 13:16, Timothee Besset wrote:
> I had some time to consider what I'd like to see in a new version of
> setup. Spent a few hours putting together a framework.
>
> SVN repo: https://zerowing.idsoftware.com:666/setup/trunk/
> https://zerowing.idsoftware.com:666/setup-files/ for a tarball
>
> See the README for all the details
> https://zerowing.idsoftware.com:666/setup/trunk/README
>
> The main approach I'm taking here is that the installer code doesn't have
> to be bundled with the setup. It can be provided as a generic system,
> installed through .rpm or .deb, which all setups will use, being mostly
> data files. Smaller setups, less ABI issues..
>
> The current code is proof of concept. It runs through a basic text UI and
> mimics a real session. Looking forward to feedback and discussing the
> design. My approach needs to have enough followers to become worthy of
> having the core setup packages installed on all distributions.

Something that might be interesting is cooperation with the Autopackage
project, which has a more or less working system up for basic packages.
As Autopackage is a superset of lokisetup functionality, and a user
experience would be best served by having has few different,
incompatible packaging/installation systems as possible, using
Autopackage for installs probably makes the most sense for any
distro-neutral installers.

> TTimo
>
> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 19:42:36 -0500
> "Ryan C. Gordon" <icculus at clutteredmind.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 17:44, Timothee Besset wrote:
> > > Btw lokisetup 2.0 gets overdue
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > > , but I guess everyone is overbooked anyway.
> >
> > Sadly, you're right. We're at the point where loki_setup is a pain in
> > the ass, but it works, more or less. I'd honestly be more interested in
> > some sort of user friendly InstallerMaker type thing than reworking the
> > actual installer itself right now, but that's just me.
> >
> > --ryan.

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.