setup v2 (was lokisetup for dummies)

Timothee Besset ttimo at idsoftware.com
Sat Jan 3 13:16:57 EST 2004

I had some time to consider what I'd like to see in a new version of
setup. Spent a few hours putting together a framework.

SVN repo: https://zerowing.idsoftware.com:666/setup/trunk/
https://zerowing.idsoftware.com:666/setup-files/ for a tarball

See the README for all the details
https://zerowing.idsoftware.com:666/setup/trunk/README

The main approach I'm taking here is that the installer code doesn't have
to be bundled with the setup. It can be provided as a generic system,
installed through .rpm or .deb, which all setups will use, being mostly
data files. Smaller setups, less ABI issues..

The current code is proof of concept. It runs through a basic text UI and
mimics a real session. Looking forward to feedback and discussing the
design. My approach needs to have enough followers to become worthy of
having the core setup packages installed on all distributions.

TTimo