[jugglemaster] New README

Chunky Kibbles chunky at icculus.org
Wed Jun 23 14:58:34 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 04:42:21PM +0800, Per Johan Groland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've written a new more general readme, which will cater for all the
> different ports that will (hopefully) be added to the CVS.
>
> Please have a look and change and update things as you see fit.
>
> PS: I'm ready to add the Pocket PC version to CVS as soon as I get
> a user name.

First comment - all lines should be wrapped at 70 or 72 cols - there
are a few that don't currently look right in my terminal :-)

> JuggleMaster
>

> 1. GENERAL
>
> JuggleMaster is a juggling siteswap animator. It can animate any valid
> siteswap, and has a large library of patterns included.

If you want to learn siteswap, check out http://www.siteswap.org/,
although it's not necessary to learn siteswap to get good use out of
this program.

> JuggleMaster was originally written in C by Ken Matsuoka for DOS. It was
> later
> ported to C++ as a platform independent library (called jmlib) by Per Johan
> Groland, who also ported it to Palm OS and Pocket PC. It was later ported
> to wxWidgets by Gary ??? (which allows it to run on a variety of platforms
> including Linux, Windows and MacOS).

Briggs

> The platforms currently available:
>
> JMDlx        wxWidgets   http://icculus.org/jugglemaster/
> JMPocket     Pocket PC   http://jugglemaster.net
> JMPalm       Palm OS     http://jugglemaster.net (no open-source version
> available)
> AAJM         aalib       http://icculus.org/jugglemaster/

I don't think "platforms" is a very good description for what we have
here. Something more like:

MacOS, Windows, Linux   JMDlx     http://icculus.org/jugglemaster
PocketPC                JMPocket  http://jugglemaster.net
PalmOS                  JMPalm    http://jugglemaster.net (source not
                                                yet available)
Unices, DOS, Terminals  AAJM      http://icculus.org/jugglemaster/aa

> The weblinks above will direct you to the proper sites to download
> binaries for the various platforms. For the source code, go to
> http://icculus.org/jugglemaster/
>
> In the "docs" dir, you'll find Ken Matsuoka's original README, and Isaac
> Orr's readme from the Java version [which has a better description of
> how to edit the pattern files].
>

> 2. BUILDING
>
> Build instructions and requirements vary between the different platforms.
>
> JMDlx
>
> To build, just go into the src/jmdlx dir and type "make". It creates a

To build on Linux or other unices, ...

> binary "jmdlx". Run it. You need wxWidgets, available from
> http://www.wxwidgets.org.
>
> To build it on Windows using Visual Studio, you need to set up the
> project file yourself. The wxWidgets home page includes instructions.
> If you don't have Visual Studio, either work it out yourself, or extract
> bloodshed.zip and use the excellent DevC++ from www.bloodshed.net
>
> To build on OSX, go into src/jmdlx and type "make osx". It'll create
> JuggleMaster.app right there.
>
> If you don't have patterns.jm and semaphore.jm in the current dir when
> you run it, it attempts to download them and save them to a suitable
> dir. You'll find copies in the "data" dir, so you can just copy them
> across if you want.

If you don't have patterns.jm and semaphore.jm in the current dir when
you run it, it attempts to download them to a suitable directory [on
unices including OSX, this is $HOME/.jugglemaster. On windows, it's in
your user's Documents and Settings, to a dir called ".jugglemaster"]

> JMPocket
>
> To build JMPocket you need Microsoft eMbedded Visual Tools 3.0 2002 Edition,
> available free of charge from Microsofts web page. JMPocket doesn't run
> properly
> in the Pocket PC 2002 emulator, so you will also need to download the
> Pocket PC
> 2000 SDK. The downloads can all be found at http://download.microsoft.com
>
> A properly configured project file is included in src/jmpocket/JMPocket.vcw
>
> JMPocket expects to find the pattern libary in My Documents, and it must be
> named either patt_e.jm or patterns.jm.

AAJM

To build, go into src/aajm, and type "make". You'll need aalib,
available from http://aa-project.sf.net

It should build two binaries, one called "aajm" that's all you really
need. The other is called "aajm-remote" and can be used to remotely
control aajm [if you start aajm with suitable command-line options -
please see the AAJM README for more info on this].

Gary (-;