[freespace2] New bug fixes and code changes...

Toby Haynes thaynes at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 28 11:09:17 EDT 2006

Taylor Richards wrote:
> I've added some more bug fixes to CVS.  Many more are on the way before
> too long.  Some of the bug fixes are FS1 only but some do fix several
> mission issues in regular FS2.  A few big-endian fixes are in there as
> well, mainly addressing some multi-player issues.

I still play this game on the occasions when I need to see huge capital
ships sawing each other in half with huge laser beams. It still
satisfies... :-)

I've compiled this up - for some reason my Ubuntu AMD64 system doesn't
get the defines right for Open AL versions so I've commented out the
appropriate lines to get the right const ALUchar* definitions in the
sound code.

I've set a new directory to house the pure Freespace2 with symlinks to
the appropriate (I hope) .vp files. Recently I've been playing with the
fs2_open releases with the mv_*.vp extra files and I have hit a snag on
"A Game of TAG" where the 4 of the Virgo wing fighters never show up
making it impossible to complete the mission. Is this one of the
missions that has issues?

Anyway, I set up a pilot for this new pure Freespace2 code and tried out
the first training mission, which ran fine right up to the "Engage
Subspace drive" request. Pressing Alt-J fired up the engines, the sounds
turn over but no warp. So I can't leave the first training mission on
this! I tried a second time with a completely new pilot but I get the
same result. There are sound stubs in the debug logs but nothing obvious.

The following files are in my Freespace2 directory - maybe I've screwed
something up.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 toby toby 15469168 2006-04-28 10:04 freespace2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 toby toby       23 2006-04-28 10:12 root_fs2.vp ->
../FS2_Open/root_fs2.vp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 toby toby       25 2006-04-28 10:10 smarty_fs2.vp ->
../FS2_Open/smarty_fs2.vp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 toby toby       25 2006-04-28 10:10 sparky_fs2.vp ->
../FS2_Open/sparky_fs2.vp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 toby toby       28 2006-04-28 10:10 sparky_hi_fs2.vp ->
../FS2_Open/sparky_hi_fs2.vp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 toby toby       22 2006-04-28 10:10 stu_fs2.vp ->
../FS2_Open/stu_fs2.vp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 toby toby       25 2006-04-28 10:10 tango1_fs2.vp ->
../FS2_Open/tango1_fs2.vp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 toby toby       25 2006-04-28 10:10 tango2_fs2.vp ->
../FS2_Open/tango2_fs2.vp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 toby toby       25 2006-04-28 10:10 tango3_fs2.vp ->
../FS2_Open/tango3_fs2.vp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 toby toby       25 2006-04-28 10:10 warble_fs2.vp ->
../FS2_Open/warble_fs2.vp

> More changes are coming, for the OpenGL code for instance, and some big
> changes for FS1.  I've almost completely reverse engineered the original
> FS1 pilot files and will move to supporting those when I have it all at
> 100% (there are two pilot file versions, one is done, on the other I
> still have some work to do).
Great stuff. At some point I really must find a machine to unpack
Freespace 1 :-)

> Just a heads-up in case anyone is still paying attention. :)
:-)

Cheers,
Toby Haynes