[freespace2] new to list, big thank you

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 4 15:35:44 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 10:55 -0700, Bob McElrath wrote:
> This "forum" is a horrible way to collaborate...the site is a mess of
> web pages and it's very very difficult to tell what's going on, or if
> anyone will read posts in any given forum...If I fixed something how
> would I send a patch?

I check both forums daily and since if you want a Linux patch in CVS I'm
the one you go through, it doesn't matter where you post it.  Most stuff
just gets e-mailed to me directly though.  At some point in the future
I'll probably hate that but for now it works.

> The linux folks figured it out a long time ago...mailing lists.  ;)

Mailing lists aren't the end all either.  SCP has a dev list but it
really only gets CVS logs or debate over a change.  The forums work and
work well for our purposes, especially with the amount of changes and
communications that get made.  A mailing list would just make that more
difficult unless it was web based as well but then it's easier to just
have a forum.

Having a public mailing list along with the forums wouldn't make
anything easier than it is now with the 5 or 6 SCP related forums that
exist.  It would just be one more place that we have to keep track of.
The only official forum is on the SCP website and the devs are supposed
to check it daily, or almost daily.  The most used forum is HLP so
either place that you post it will get read.

Taylor Richards <taylor at icculus.org>