Use/Require CD?

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Fri May 9 22:56:20 EDT 2003

Since I'm mad at OpenAL for continuing to modify the pitch of 3d sounds
without sitting me down and explaining how to get around it, I moved on
to some other things temporarily.  I put in cpu detection stuff using
the proc interface though it could probably be made better and
compatible with systems that don't use/have /proc.

The current task is being able to access files off of the CDs.  Some of
this is done (detecting a valid CD) but there is still some stuff to do
(which CDs to check and mount points to use).  I wanted to do this so
that movies could be used off of the CD.  At the moment this is how I
want to do it: if a CD is inserted use the CD code, if not do the
current way (it won't ask for a CD).  If you use the CD code it will
make you switch between discs which means that the drive will have to be
ejected and re-mounted with a new disc.  This presents an auto-mounter
headache but I think it can be dealt with and be made to work.  It could
(and probably will) introduce problems with the various auto mount
utilities though which would hurt end users.  I also don't see a way
around using a single drive so using a computer with multiple CD-ROM
drives isn't going to help anyone.

I've got 120Gigs on my desktop system so I could care less if all of the
files are installed or not, and I always install everything anyway to
avoid breaking out the CDs to play a game.  This is also the reason that
I own but never play Hyperion's games, you have to have the damn CD
inserted to play.

Is this something that others think is worth doing or should it be left
as is and install all of the files to the hard drive?

(FYI, the Freespace 2 movies take up about 694Megs)

Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>