[freespace2] better movie player

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 24 20:00:24 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 04:12, Dan Olson wrote:
> The problem in hooking the standalone player into FS2 was just that...
> hooking the standalone player into FS2.  By this I mean utilizing the
> graphics API that FS2 provides.  The current code is very very crappy,
> it was never a high enough priority to fix.  It needs to somehow use
> glTexSubImage2D to update the frames.  If it is a matter of not having
> the proper functionality in the FS2 graphics libraries, then the FS2 API
> should be extended, rather than separating the MVE code.

Using a couple functions from fs2_open ( gr_opengl_bitmap_ex and
gr_opengl_bitmap_internal ) this works but timing it doesn't reveal any
real speed increase.  I had to call gr_opengl_bitmap_ex directly from
mveplayer.cpp in order for it to display anything (ie. calling
gr_opengl_bitmap_ex from gr_bitmap_ex didn't work).  I may not have done
something correctly but I'll keep playing with it.  Could this slowdown
be an issue with the nvidia drivers?  I'll try it on the G400 and see if
there is a difference.

Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>