[freespace2] better movie player

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 24 07:49:59 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 04:12, Dan Olson wrote:
> The difference between the code in FS2 and the code in D2X would be that
> the FS2 code has been modified to play non-paletted MVEs, the kind FS2
> uses.
>
> The problem in hooking the standalone player into FS2 was just that...
> hooking the standalone player into FS2.  By this I mean utilizing the
> graphics API that FS2 provides.  The current code is very very crappy,
> it was never a high enough priority to fix.  It needs to somehow use
> glTexSubImage2D to update the frames.  If it is a matter of not having
> the proper functionality in the FS2 graphics libraries, then the FS2 API
> should be extended, rather than separating the MVE code.

I'll have a go a doing this today.

> The D2X solution regarding sound is something that I'd like to avoid in
> FS2.  I do not believe that it is worth cluttering up the code in this
> manner in order to play movies with code of questionable legality.  If
> it is done at all, it needs to be done "right", in my opinion.  That is,
> completely hooked into the FS2 API (sound and graphics) and be
> completely independant of OpenGL/DirectX/OpenAL/SDL calls.

I did try using SDL_audio and shutting down the FS2 sound system and
then starting it back up.  It shutdown ok but wouldn't come back up.  I
didn't really care enough to find out why.  I think that audio streaming
is going to have to be put in for mve audio to be hooked in correctly.
Also, getting the audio data is currently done via a callback and the
only OpenAL function I see that supports this is
BufferDataWithCallback_LOKI.  Is that ok to use or should an effort be
put in to handle the data retrieval differently?  If it can be used then
counldn't the audio be done without having to do all of the streaming
audio code?

Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>