[freespace2] better movie player

Dan Olson theoddone33 at linuxgames.com
Mon Mar 24 04:12:28 EST 2003

The difference between the code in FS2 and the code in D2X would be that
the FS2 code has been modified to play non-paletted MVEs, the kind FS2
uses.

The problem in hooking the standalone player into FS2 was just that...
hooking the standalone player into FS2.  By this I mean utilizing the
graphics API that FS2 provides.  The current code is very very crappy,
it was never a high enough priority to fix.  It needs to somehow use
glTexSubImage2D to update the frames.  If it is a matter of not having
the proper functionality in the FS2 graphics libraries, then the FS2 API
should be extended, rather than separating the MVE code.

The D2X solution regarding sound is something that I'd like to avoid in
FS2.  I do not believe that it is worth cluttering up the code in this
manner in order to play movies with code of questionable legality.  If
it is done at all, it needs to be done "right", in my opinion.  That is,
completely hooked into the FS2 API (sound and graphics) and be
completely independant of OpenGL/DirectX/OpenAL/SDL calls.

--
Dan Olson