[freespace2] better movie player

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 23 18:16:45 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-23 at 17:48, Bradley Bell wrote:
> Both players were based on a standalone player some mysterious 3rd party
> created.  The way I make the sound work in d2x is to just shut down d2x's sound
> driver, use the sdl sound code in the mve, as if it were still just a standalone
> player, and then restart the d2x sound driver.  works for me...
>
> -brad

I do remember something about the other player now that you mention it.
In the current FS2 code the sound stuff is commented (#if 0) out.  I
didn't know if there was a real reason (ie. being broken) or if the FS2
sound system just wasn't being shut off.  That's my fall back anyway
since I don't plan on spending much time getting the audio to work using
the current FS2 sound system because...

Valgrind reports that 15M+ is being leaked on the FS2 intro movie
alone.  Given that with a mission loaded in FS2 the memory footprint
will easily exceed 200Meg on my system, having the movie code leak this
much just isn't going to work.  I'm going to spend time on this rather
than sound since it's a bit more important.  Have you done anything
different to properly free a stream?  I'll look at what you've got but
if this is like the hud animation problem that was fixed in the main
game then the memory will have to be free'd after each chunk has played
in order to get it all.

Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>