[freespace2] better movie player

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 23 15:59:17 EST 2003

Actually I thought that the FS2 player was based on what came out of
d2x.  They look largely the same anyway, except the FS2 code is
obviously an older version than what's in d2x now.  The current d2x
stuff looks really good, though there have been problems with it in
OSX.  I never had the chance to look at why and it's probably fixed now
since that was a little over a month ago, just after the big code
move-around I think.

I haven't looked at a really current checkout but I have looked at the
d2x code and I've even got the standalone player installed for when I
want to watch the movies.  I'm really just doing this for the short term
to get truly working movie support in so something built-by-default is
there for a 1.0 release of FS2.  The TODO list for 1.0 is pretty damn
short at the moment and I'm just trying to get to everything that I can,
on and off that list.

Along with what I mentioned in the last e-mail, I've set the movies to
center on a 1024x768 screen instead of being at (0,0) but will still be
at top-left for 640x480.  I also think that I've found a way to easily
(I hope) get sound working using the current FS2 sound code.  Beyond
that I'm not doing anything else.  Switching to an independent library
does sound pretty sweet.  I'll be sure a take a better look at the
current d2x code, especially since I finally found my descent 1 & 2
disks :-)

Taylor

--
Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>