[freespace2] support for polish version of freespace 2

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 3 03:34:36 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 02:27, rraptorr wrote:
> Hi,
> I'va managed to get my polish version of freespace 2 working with the
> attached patch. There was a problem with two polish letters (they were
> correct in the .tbl files, but the game seemed to read wrong characters).
> There is one nasty hack with function lcl_fix_polish, but it works. And
> last thing, polish players need to add Language=Polish to the
> FreeSpace2.ini file, otherwise the game crashes complaining about
> corrupted strings.tbl.

You can put a POLISH_BUILD in the Makefile just like the GERMAN_BUILD
and set the default Language to Polish in localize.cpp to avoid editing
the ini file by hand.  A few extra lines of code and another build
option but otherwise it might end up having to be added to the FAQ if
people start complaining.

The wrong character problem seems more like a font issue (best guess).
Are you sure that LCL_SPECIAL_CHARS_PL shouldn't be 164?  It looks like
all you're doing is increasing the offset to find the character.  If you
can extract one of the font files from the vp and view it with fonttool
you should be able to get a better idea of what's going on.  It may end
up that manually converting the characters, as you're doing now, is your
best choice.

Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>