[freespace2] support for polish version of freespace 2

rraptorr rraptorr at nails.eu.org
Mon Mar 3 05:31:09 EST 2003

On 3 Mar 2003, Taylor Richards wrote:

> You can put a POLISH_BUILD in the Makefile just like the GERMAN_BUILD
> and set the default Language to Polish in localize.cpp to avoid editing
> the ini file by hand.  A few extra lines of code and another build
> option but otherwise it might end up having to be added to the FAQ if
> people start complaining.

Yes, I know this, but polish players still have to do something more than
./configure;make. Most people do this without thinking or reading docs.
And with POLISH_BUILD they would have to recompile source.

> The wrong character problem seems more like a font issue (best guess).

The wrong character issue is quite strange. All polish texts are in
WINDOWS-1250 codepage (strings.tbl etc.). When I made gr_opengl_string
function print supplied string to stderr I've found that 2 (of 9) polish
characters where somewhere converted to a diffrent characters. So function
lcl_fix_polish converts them back to WINDOWS-1250.

> Are you sure that LCL_SPECIAL_CHARS_PL shouldn't be 164?  It looks like

Yes, I'm sure, polish version is more like a replacement for english
version and it doesn't use localization system as it ought to be (no files
with pl suffix etc.).

> all you're doing is increasing the offset to find the character.  If you
> can extract one of the font files from the vp and view it with fonttool
> you should be able to get a better idea of what's going on.  It may end
> up that manually converting the characters, as you're doing now, is your
> best choice.
>

> Taylor
>
> --
> Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>