FS1 Multiplayer

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 30 14:53:14 EST 2002

Made some headway with multiplayer yesterday.  I've got the old psnet
code working though there is probably going to be some bugs in it for a
little while.  It's going to take someone with more experience than me
to weed out non-obvious (to me anyway) problems but we're not at that
point yet.  The biggest block at the moment is reconstructing the
packets to be compatible between the unix and windows versions.
Ettercap is my new best friend :-)  The games do see each other and pick
up broadcast packets on the LAN as expected but actually joining a game
will crash at the moment.  The FS1 port can successfully create and
enter the game (it's own) now so it's now a matter of reconstructing the
packets to work between the two versions.  I'm making the necessary
packet changes as I see them but I will eventually need people to help
test various multiplayer games and find out what doesn't work (ie. what
crashes) do to packet issues.  When I've got the game to the point that
it can join and begin a mission I'll ask for test subjects.

One small question (there's a bunch actually but I'm not ready to ask)
is for anyone that has played windows FS1 multiplayer:  When playing a
game with other players that have Silent Threat does the Silent Threat
icon show up on each player or does it just show up for your pilot?  I'm
thinking that it's a flag to identify a Silent Threat capable pilot but
that means I've got to identify and set/process that flag in the port.

Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>