FS1 crash: bug with GCC?

Taylor Richards trichard at surfsouth.com
Wed Aug 21 11:55:29 EDT 2002

After getting nowhere with the crash it finally hit me that I was using
gcc 3.2 now.  With 2.96 (RedHat) I don't get the crash.  I haven't
looked to see how this same thing effects FS2 but it's crashing in code
used by both versions of FS specifically in popup.cpp line 733
'b->hide()'.  The comments explain it pretty well but that part of
popup.cpp creates a hidden button in order to assign a key press to it
for keyboard input.  Usually a key press is assigned to a hotspot (mask)
but the popup dialogs don't have them so it's done this way.  If that
small block of code is commented out then the game won't crash but it's
also not a fix.  I just left it all alone for now.  I guess this will be
a bigger issue when RedHat 8.0 comes out since it uses gcc 3.2 by
default.

Being a programming newbie I don't know what to do but not use gcc 3.2.
I'll leave it to someone else to verify this.  This was all that was
holding up the FS1 patch so I'm going to do some cleanup and send it to
the list a little later.

Taylor Richards <trichard at surfsouth.com>