[cod] Off-Topic: The Future of GSPs

Morpheus morpheus at clantoc.org
Tue Feb 2 14:02:23 EST 2010

To answer to the first question, just see how the ISP in United States
are beginning to cry about console and P2P-powered multiplayer games in
general, as it increases the bandwith usage a lot, when they try to
lower it.

Countries like Belgium, that still has quota-based formulas to access
Internet, are also problematic to people wanting to run game servers and
even just play (youtube and other streaming videos sites are enough to
explode the quotas).

In France, even the best affordable fiber-based connection just powers
30Mbps up, and by that, even a MW2 match, limited to 9-9, is totally
crap. A relatively big part of the ADSL based connections just puts
1Mbps up (even with at best 28Mbps down), most fo them don't get 256kbps up.

The reason is : if you want the quality bandwith of a GSP, your modem
needs to consumes at least 10 times the power it uses at this day. And
it costs a lot more year after year.

It's not home-powered servers that will be hurting GSPs : it's game
publishers. But we should not continue to name them publishers : they
are financials. That's about it. And we are NOT "good" consumers from
their point of view. Very, very sad.