[cod] Off-Topic: The Future of GSPs

Rick Payton rick at mai-hawaii.com
Tue Feb 2 15:00:32 EST 2010

man you guys are painting a grim picture for dedicated hosting. I can't
believe that EA, DICE, Activision, & Infinity Ward just don't see how
successful other companies can still be (ie; Valve, id) while providing
actual Linux client (id) and server support.

And to have NO mod support for Battlefield Bad Company 2 - holy shit!
Did these companies forget what made some of the previous games the most
talked about and played games? Hello, just look at Counter-Strike. That
game is on its way to being ... 11 years old now? And it's STILL played,
people STILL buy it, people STILL TALK about it. But hey, Valve must be
doing something wrong, eh?

Battlefield 2 could have been the next "Counter-Strike" but EA/Dice
decided to royally fuck us in terms of patches - remember the v1.3 patch
anyone? How long did we have to wait for THAT one to get fixed? If that
was Valve, or id, or hell ANY other game company, that patch would've
been fixed the next day, if not in a couple of hours. That kind of lack
of support can right quick kill any community based around a game ...

I know Valve and id have the same goal as EA and the others - get the
$$$. Gotta pay employees, pay for other expenses, and still turn a
profit. I get that. At least with Valve, I personally get the feeling
that they actually CARE about how the customers feel, and when a patch
is bad, they'll fix it right quick. They would NOT have let a server
crashing BUG go unresolved for over 6 months.

And I know on the hlds mailing list there's a ton of hate towards them
as well - you'll find that in ANY game dev ran mailing list. I
personally don't feel they deserve all the hate mailed on their list but
I understand those admins' frustration as well.

I've read the entire thread of "future of gsps" and if every post is
accurate, then the future does seem bleak. I rather enjoy knowing HOW to
run a dedicated server at home for me and my family to play on, or
knowing how to configure and setup a rented server. I'd hate my own
knowledge of knowing that stuff just go to waste. I've never liked
consoles much, but recent developments in the PC "world" is making me
not like them even more. My PS2, I played Gran Turismo and Need for
Speed. My xbox? Need for Speed and Project Gotham Racing and Full
Spectrum Warrior (that was an interesting game). My 360 - I use it to
watch streaming videos from tversity. Every time I watched my kids play
Halo or anything other "shooter" game, all I could ever think about was
how much better this could be on a PC...

Console games have their place, don't get me wrong, but we can't let
game devs think that's the only way games should be played. Hell,
console game get developed ON A PC - why NOT do the PC version first -
since you're already WORKING WITH ONE, then rework the controls and
graphics so it works on a lower end console? Doing the console first
then doing a throwaway port to the PC is just ... backwards ... if you
ask me.

These game companies ... bewilder me. I'm still going to hold onto a
small shred of hope that EA/Dice can pull their heads out of their
collective asses and do BF3 right - proper mod support, and dedicated
server support for both Windows & Linux. I know, I read they've stated
that's not going to happen .... but I don't want to beleive that 100%
just yet :(

--mauirixxx - PC, Valve, and id software fanboy - in case you couldn't
tell.