AW: [cod] Linux Beta

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Fri Oct 28 04:53:49 EDT 2005

Edwin Terlouw wrote:

> I think the serverfiles are just free for public to download, if you
> download the large linux bins you can almost play CoD just by adding the
> .exe files. And it isnt really arranging copying, al the people using this
> list want to know and checkout the linux binaries, and if done before the
> official release, maybe some important things (bugs etc etc) can be reported
> first! So I think it is kind of usefull. And after we are a kind of
> testers/evaluators giving feedback to the creators of the game
> (Ryan/activions etc).

I think that's a gross understatement.  The full coduo-lnxded.tar.bz2
file was 353M and contained pakuo00.pk3 (154MB), packuo01.pk3 (155MB),
and packuo07.pk3 (7MB).  But to run the server also requires the rest of
the pk3 files: pakuo02.pk3 (159MB), pakuo03.pk3 (140MB), pakuo04.pk3
(157MB), pakuo05.pk3 (709KB), pakuo06_lowres.pk3 (89MB), and pakuo06.pk3
(233KB).

So of the total game assets in the uo dir, 37% was included in the
coduo-lnxded and the rest had to be copied from the UO CDs.  And there's
a similar deal with the plain cod pk3s.

So I really don't think you can say that "all the serverfiles are just
free" because you can't even come close to having everything you need to
run the game just from the tarball.

Look, I get it.  Everybody here is honest and paid for the game, and
getting the files out there quickly benefits the game's launch.  I'm not
disputing that, or saying you should stop.  All I'm saying is that this
whole thing of carelessly exclaiming "hey let me copy all your pk3
files, they're free anyway, who cares, how could anyone mind?" is a
little questionable.  That's all.  /goes back to lurking

Brian