[cod] Need to know

Mark J. DeFilippis defilm at acm.org
Fri Oct 7 08:08:00 EDT 2005

At 03:17 PM 10/6/2005, you wrote:
>So you're thinking the whole model of WoW??   Meaning an open world
>where you wonder around looking for something to kill?

He he...  Gee...  that sounds like a FPS to me...
We wonder around in DM looking for something to kill. ;-))

Jay, that response was reserved.  I saw WOW model and
I admit, I freaked.  I have seen my sons play WOW, less now
that I turned them on to "The Guild", and I suspect way less
when COD2 is out. (I am so anti-WOW, I refused to open
the account and give Blizzard MY CC#.  I make my sons use
the 60 day cards (I pay for them).

Now it may just be that I am outside the mean with a
significant std. deviation since each time I looked over their
shoulders, they were running.. and running... and running...
with their pets.. looking for items to pick up, and flying fairies
to shoot at", I never saw anything that made me say "WOW"!
How someone can go from playing COD, COD:UO and move
to the mundane existence of running and running (with Lag even!),
I have no idea.  It is so boring to me.  If they wanted to torture
the Al Quida prisoners they should make them sit down in front
of WOW for a week straight! How Inhumane, sorry.

Fun aside... WOW is made up of little realms.  A realm is
the maximum world they can run on a server.  Really, that
is what it is... :)   When the realm is busy, I noticed it is Laggy
which as we all know is very desirable for a FPS like COD2. NOT.

If games continue to move towards the WOW model, or
the "Ranked" vs "Unranked" model, I am quitting
and going back my old Atari 800.  Basic stuff, but at
least the old stuff had some entertainment value.... :)

Based on the demo... it don't look like they plan to fit
either of those models, Thank God the stupidity virus
effecting EA has not spread.

Also, addressing the stmt: "WOW's user base is growing but their
revenue has dropped 90%".

YES.  That is called "People that used to play WOW
and have a dormant account since they no longer play".
 From the purely business and financial/investor
perspective,  no doubt they made money, but they
are hemorrhaging now.

Dr. D

Mark J. DeFilippis                                        defilm at acm.org
                                                                         defilm at ieee.org