[cod] IS COD and other FPS's DEAD? On topic and off topic unfortunately!

Mark J. DeFilippis defilm at acm.org
Sat Jun 4 13:04:52 EDT 2005

Been a heck of a week.  Thanks all for your input.
If you look at the gaming console situation, and the new
upcoming consoles, they are basically sealed PC's.
The large difference between a Tivo (or DVR) and a
gaming console is almost blurred.. Except a DVR is
kind of like an ASIC is to a CPU.  Specific purpose, vs
general computing.

The new Sony and XBox will have graphics processors that
are where PC's were and many stand now. (4 Way pipeline
GPU's).

However, the PC gaming will always be ahead. We now have
16way pipelining with the new sets of GPU's from NVidia, and
ATI.  Yea, they are expensive, but a niche market for those that
can't lay out $500 for a GPU card at this point, is the PCI-Express.
(I read a review where a $135 Geforce 6600 x 2, on SLI exceeded
the frame rates of the single 6800 Ultra.) But in reality these prices
will come down.  The irony is that the Motherboard tests for SLI
MB's had to be at Low resolution for most tests.  At higher resolution
the GPU takes almost all of the processing, and the CPU is sitting
there darn near idle.  That is a void gaming developers have been
waiting for.  When CPU's were 2 way pipelined, 80% of the CPU
was busy doing processing and the remaining pipelines, T&L, and
Rasterization.  4 way moved it all on chip. 16 way is awesome.

PC's are complex to maintain. Consoles are plug and play. That is
the key IMHO.  As the Consoles move more towards PC's and
move on to Broadband, real hackers (not crackers of course) will
welcome the new arrival with all the things a PC is subject to.

All the weaknesses they can find.  The first to do so wins the glory
of taking down a MS network of XBoxes, etc.

One thing that does concern me..... If there was no 16 way GPU's
and I had to stay where I am now with my 3 systems with Geforce FX
5950's, It would not be terrible.  But as long as there is the "next best
thing every 2 years, we upgrade... Many over-clock and tweak the new
16way GPU's, just because they can and want every little FPS they
can get.  It all helps drive the industry in many ways.

The central question:  If WOW and Matrix-Online come out for the new
consoles with 4Way pipeline GPU's, and 40GB Disks in them, self
contained, will most families be happy with that quality level?
Well, it is a huge step up in graphics quality from the current older
XBox and PS2.

For the console market, this may indeed be a huge win.  Will we
ever see Console and PC based integration?  Many questions...

I do notice when I go to EBGames, now owned by Gamestop, which
stated out as Babbage, the PC games are treated like the Classical
and BigBand era section in a music store.

I see, as the point made, that next gen consoles will also have impact
on the PC gaming community. How much? IMHO, I would tent to
think that those that have PC gaming will have both.  Those that have only
consoles
will upgrade and still have consoles, and market share may increase from those
that have nothing, which I think will not reduce the PC Gaming pool.

Massive Online Gaming is directly sucking from the PC Genres.
But I think that market is in flux. I saw an ad in PCGamer for an
MOM game due out, with NO fees. Control of cheating and
licensing will be through steam. People hate it, but they know
everyone on-line purchased the game.  But no monthly fee.

This seems to coincide with the return of many clan members
that I lost to WOW and Matrix. They still play the MOM games,
but they are back playing COD:UO.

We also have upcoming:  BF2, COD2, and Day of Defeat Source
which has a huge following. The DOD ladders are doing better
than the COD/COD:UO, but it is a mod of the Valve HalfLife engine.

Funny thing is they almost all look alike ;-) I hope they all go over
big...

Thanks to the many that shared their experiences and ideas.
I think this list has some of the best people I have come to
admire.

Md

Mark J. DeFilippis, Ph. D EE          defilm at acm.org
                                       defilm at ieee.org