[cod] server not showing in browsing list

Luke luke at techfreak.org
Tue Feb 3 08:20:49 EST 2004

Im sorry, but I have ran over 20 different games on Linux
servers and nearly twice as many game mods. None of them
have the kind of in-game browser errors that I and tons of
others are seeing. And most of them are built on the Quake
3 Engine.

First, I follow your logic, Joe. But, that cant be how the
master server list works. If my server was only pinged by
the master server every two hours, then why is it that if
I terminate the server now and then use my in-game browser
two minutes later it doesnt show up? Apparently, their
must be more to the process than a two-hour list check.

If we assume the issue is that it takes two hours for an
upgraded server to time out from the master server than
why is it that one of my servers shows up correctly, and
did so from the very minute I upgraded the server? It was
only down for less than 10 minutes while I installed the
patch..... and this was the same ammount of time that the
other COd server in question was down, and it didnt show
up for an entire day. When it did, the info was all wrong?

My point is that if this was a 'time out' issue, I beleive
we would see much more consistency in how the issue plays
out and how it is resolved. And we arent. Not at all. You
were lucky to resolve your issue by taking the servers
down for two hours. Many admins have done that and it
doesnt do a thing. Trust me......

For instance, why are 90% of the server for many, many
players reporting that their pings are one (1) in the
in-game browser, even though they are reporting everthing
else properly? Why would one of my servers (which has been
down for more than two hours since upgrading while I pull
my hair out!) show as a 'WL' server and running some map
that doesnt exist? Please, I have never seen this in ANY
Quake 3 game.

There is more to this than the master server needing to
'time out' 1.1 servers.

Luke