[cod] server not showing in browsing list

Daniel M. Temme cod at schlechteverlierer.de
Tue Feb 3 08:08:37 EST 2004

On Tuesday 03 February 2004 14:20, Luke wrote:
> First, I follow your logic, Joe. But, that cant be how the
> master server list works. If my server was only pinged by
> the master server every two hours, then why is it that if
> I terminate the server now and then use my in-game browser
> two minutes later it doesnt show up? Apparently, their
> must be more to the process than a two-hour list check.

I may be wrong but I think that the client would try to ping the server and
just not show it if it isn't running.

> If we assume the issue is that it takes two hours for an
> upgraded server to time out from the master server than
> why is it that one of my servers shows up correctly, and
> did so from the very minute I upgraded the server? It was
> only down for less than 10 minutes while I installed the
> patch..... and this was the same ammount of time that the
> other COd server in question was down, and it didnt show
> up for an entire day. When it did, the info was all wrong?

Does anyone know what info is actually stored/used on the master servers? It
appears that all the filtering is happening client side so there really
wouldn't be much of a need to handle more then ip, maxplayers and maybe
gametype, OS and whether or not it's dedicated. This prolly is a moot issue
but I'm curious.

> For instance, why are 90% of the server for many, many
> players reporting that their pings are one (1) in the
> in-game browser, even though they are reporting everthing
> else properly?

This has irritated me, too. Since I got the cable line I'm getting used to
pretty good pings but all the 1's really didn't seem right ;). And it was
actually quite a large ammount of servers showing up with that.

Have a nice day
--
Daniel M. Temme
http://schlechteverlierer.de