[cod] Suggestions on file ownership and file permissions for CoD files.

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Mon Nov 24 20:23:36 EST 2003

> Can I run CoD as another user that is not part of group wheel or root?

Yes; it doesn't really care what user it runs as, so long as it can write
to $HOME/.callofduty and read from the game's dir.

You should NOT run the server as root. Ever.

> Are there any other suggestions others may have that I can do to CoD so that
> if there are vulnerabilities found that the scope is limited to CoD and
> doesn't affect the OS or other users?

Use the chroot command; just make sure you've got a /etc/hosts in the
chroot jail for looking up the auth server.

Someone on this list is bound to be doing this...if you are, please elaborate.

Thanks,
--ryan.