[bf1942] bf2web.gamespy.com

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at MatureAsskickers.net
Thu Nov 10 04:06:54 EST 2005

--On Wednesday, November 09, 2005 10:59 PM +0100 Jorrit Schippers
<jorrit at gameparty.net> wrote:

> As far as I can see they have filtered the querystrings and allow only
> those query strings which are exactly requested by Battlefield.

Do you suppose they did this explicitly to block direct non-game queries,
or out of bad programming? ("Never attribute to maliciousness what can
adequately be explained by stupidity.")

It seems dumb to transport this data over HTTP, anyway. It would have made
more sense to serve it by DNS, which provides distributed caching. (ClamAV
uses this trick to keep people from killing its server looking for new AV
database updates. A DNS record with a TTL of 15 minutes is updated when a
new data file is available.)