[bf1942] BF2 VOIP Partially Broken

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at MatureAsskickers.net
Sun Jun 26 11:17:14 EDT 2005

--On Sunday, June 26, 2005 9:14 AM +0200 Per Kristiansen
<per at gathering.org> wrote:

> last night a buddy and I was playing, and he could hear me, but not I him.
> checked the lgos and sure enough..there it was..lots of drops.
> This is strange as my fw is statefull and allows replies from iniated
> connections.

Check the packet timing. A router doing UDP over NAT can drop the NAT table
entry if no packet is seen after 60 seconds. Most routers have a generous
margin, 90-120 seconds. But it's up to the app to send at least a dummy
packet once a minute. TeamSpeak used to have this problem because it didn't
send that dummy packet often enough. Some routers had a bug in that they
had a relatively long timeout (5-10 minutes) but it was a fixed length and
didn't reset when a new packet came in, so the TS connection would drop
when the router timeout ran out.