[bf1942] Server terminating when reattaching to screen

kama kama at pvp.se
Fri Jun 24 17:21:45 EDT 2005

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Michael Ressen wrote:

> Einar S. Idsø wrote:
> > We are currently running all our servers within screen sessions. This
> > enables us to enter the console at will to issue commands. However, it
> > seems that about 1 in 2 times when I try to reattach to a running
> > server, the server terminates. This makes running the server w/i a
> > screen simply too risky to be helpful.
> >
> > The 32-bit server runs on a P4 with 1GB RAM and Gentoo Linux.
> > $ screen --version
> > Screen version 4.00.02 (FAU) 5-Dec-03
> >
> > Does anyone else have this problem?
> >
> > Einar
> >

> Used to have the same problem.   I connected via SSH from a console
> window in Solaris, then attached the screen I wanted to manage.  If I
> resized the terminal window, the server would terminate and restart.
> It would also happen if I happened to inadvertently hit "enter" without
> typing anything in the console.   Never figured out why.

I dont know why the bother to do the nifty ncursed based serverwindow for
*nix. I for one would like a true daemon instead of this "server based
client". A daemon that you can connect too and get all the info. Perhaps
even using the built in rcon, but have a check that if you use rcon from
localhost you have more priviliges. If i want the status bar, let me just
send status to the server and get the response. But if I can make a
wishlist, it will be a daemon that listen to localhost so I can do a
telnet to port and type the commands.

I have had issues with both the bf42 and bfv server before. If I resumed
the screen with a different size of the window the whole server freezed
until i resized the window and pressed return. In windows you dont have
that problem since the cmd-window is fixed in size by default.

I have never liked the way the bfX servers been running.

/Bjorn