[bf1942] Server terminating when reattaching to screen

"Einar S. Idsø" esi at itk.ntnu.no
Fri Jun 24 17:31:44 EDT 2005

Michael Ressen wrote:
> Einar S. Idsø wrote:
>
>> We are currently running all our servers within screen sessions. This
>> enables us to enter the console at will to issue commands. However, it
>> seems that about 1 in 2 times when I try to reattach to a running
>> server, the server terminates. This makes running the server w/i a
>> screen simply too risky to be helpful.
>>
>> The 32-bit server runs on a P4 with 1GB RAM and Gentoo Linux.
>> $ screen --version
>> Screen version 4.00.02 (FAU) 5-Dec-03
>>
>> Does anyone else have this problem?
>>
>> Einar
>>

> Used to have the same problem.   I connected via SSH from a console
> window in Solaris, then attached the screen I wanted to manage.  If I
> resized the terminal window, the server would terminate and restart. It
> would also happen if I happened to inadvertently hit "enter" without
> typing anything in the console.   Never figured out why.
>
> /BA

Yes, it is also my impression that the problem is related to the size of
the terminal that is used to reattach as compared to the size of the
original terminal in which it was started.

Andreas: Are you able to reproduce this? Is it possible to fix? This
used to work just fine in BF 1942 and Vietnam (sure enough I got a
garbled curses-output then, but at least the server didn't crash).

Einar