BF2 "Rubber Banding"

dackz lists at dackz.net
Thu Jun 23 18:26:36 EDT 2005

Has any research gone into the reported "rubber banding" or teleporting
that players experience on high-traffic servers? Players on my server
have complained about this sort of thing, yet the server software isn't
using much CPU, RAM or bandwidth, so I doubt the bottleneck lies in the
hardware. It's also happened on other nearly-full 64 player servers that
I've visited.

I'm guessing either the server software isn't sending out enough data
per second, or packets are being lost. Either way, an official statement
from a developer about this sort of thing would be nice, and perhaps
even some hints as to how the problem could be reduced.