[bf1942] Modding v Hacking

Michael Ressen netadmin at michiganburbs.com
Wed Jun 15 15:06:03 EDT 2005

Joe wrote:
> Exactly why I asked..Quite a few people are already working at making local
> rank/unlock tracking possible, and I fear EA may tell them to shove it &
> remove them from the master servers. Then came the idea of a master server
> mod, but at that point I wouldn't be surprised to see EA serve some legal
> papers..sigh.

We actually did this back when Valve shut down the WON servers.   We had
a working daemon that could serve as both an auth mechanism, and master
browser.   Since we couldn't tap directly into the game, we had thought
of incorporating the client as a 3rd party launcher for the game (then
CS 1.5), maybe wrapped in something like C-D.    We'd even discussed it
at UA, but it wasn't a priority.   Then came the threats from Valve.
Basically, they said use of the dedicated server was by EULA, and they
could cancel it at any time, removing our license to use it, and
wrapping auth in a seperate package and running the game against their
wishes with a private master system was illegal and they would pursue
action if it were to proceed.

Read the EULA carefully, is all I can say.   In the end, I dropped all
my CS servers, and saved myself lots of money by not ever buying a Valve
product again.    Now I give my money to Blizzard lol.

/BA