[bf1942] Demo quality level

Matthew REGNAULT m at matthew-regnault.net
Tue Dec 27 15:55:43 EST 2005

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> Demos can be recorded at quality levels 1 through 5. Anyone
> experimented to see what changes from one level to another? Presumably
> it's not graphics, because demos are server-side, where there's no
> graphics to be recorded. So what additional info gets recorded for
> each increment in "quality"?

Actually quality ranges from 1 to 10.

3 factors to consider when recording:

1) the higher the quality, the bigger the  files
2) the higher the quality, the more resources used on the server
3) the higher the quality, the more "fluid" the movements will appear

For 2) I don't know much, only that qualities 1 through 5 run fine on
all the servers I've hired.

For 1) :
- a 20min round for an 8vs8 war on a 16p map gives a file of about
10-13MB, if demo quality is 3
- same settings, but quality 1 will give around 3MB
- same settings, but quality 2 will give around 7-9MN

For 3)
- with demo quality 1, the movements are really not nice to watch.
Movements are nicer with quality 2, and nice with 3.

Conclusion:
Set the quality depending on what you plan on doing with the demos:
- video editing: use at least 3. If there are not many players while
recording, you may even use higher settings like 4, 5, or even 6.
- just to look at and analyze after wars: use quality 2 or 3 (if you
have no bandwidth limitation, on your PC and on your server), or 1 (if
you have bandwidth issues)

Hope this helps.

(private message to Firelynx: hey!, it's aAa, not AaA ;)

--
*aAa* AzZ
Leader & war arranger, aAa.BF2
MSN: azz at team-cdd.com