[bf1942] various replies from the fat and bored

d p chang weasel at meer.net
Mon Mar 22 17:36:21 EST 2004

d p chang <weasel at meer.net> writes:

> bf1942-help at icculus.org writes:
>
> > From: "AIX Gaming" <webmaster at aixgaming.com>
> > Subject: Server keeps crashing above 30 players
> >
> > Hey all, sorry if this is a repeat question as I haven't paid close
> > attention lately since I didn't have a BFV server up yet.  I just got a
> > 2.8ghz with 1 gig ram redhat linux box on a fat pipe.  We're running 32
> > players/desert combat/linux on a duplicate box with no hassles.. Now that
> > I'm running the latest BFV server though, if it ever goes at or above 30
> > players for more than a few minutes, the server crashes, giving me a
> > "Broken pipe" and then the prompt.  CPU and memory usage doesn't seem to
> > be an issue as they're not above 30% usage when it hits 30... Any
> > ideas?
>
> this means that your pipe isn't quite fat enough since someone the
> server is trying to communicate w/ shut down abnormally. bf1942 just
> ignores this signal, but i never really convinced myself that all of
> the code really handled errors ok so i never really felt good about
> doing this.

actually while walking to get some groceries i realized the real reason
why i didn't add this signal handling. i don't know of a way for udp
sockets to signal this (there might be some edge case i'm missing
here). this was before i learned of the remote console handling stuff
(which i think is the only thing that uses streams)

\p
---
As soon as a religion comes to dominate it has as its opponents all
those who would have been its first disciples. --- Friedrich Nietzsche