various replies from the fat and bored

d p chang weasel at meer.net
Mon Mar 22 16:08:53 EST 2004

bf1942-help at icculus.org writes:

> From: "AIX Gaming" <webmaster at aixgaming.com>
> Subject: Server keeps crashing above 30 players
>
> Hey all, sorry if this is a repeat question as I haven't paid close
> attention lately since I didn't have a BFV server up yet.  I just got a
> 2.8ghz with 1 gig ram redhat linux box on a fat pipe.  We're running 32
> players/desert combat/linux on a duplicate box with no hassles.. Now that
> I'm running the latest BFV server though, if it ever goes at or above 30
> players for more than a few minutes, the server crashes, giving me a
> "Broken pipe" and then the prompt.  CPU and memory usage doesn't seem to
> be an issue as they're not above 30% usage when it hits 30... Any
> ideas?

this means that your pipe isn't quite fat enough since someone the
server is trying to communicate w/ shut down abnormally. bf1942 just
ignores this signal, but i never really convinced myself that all of
the code really handled errors ok so i never really felt good about
doing this.

anyway, this is a possible hint at the 'lag' issue that people have
been talking about.

> From: "AIX Gaming" <webmaster at aixgaming.com>
> Subject: RE: [bf1942] Server keeps crashing above 30 players
>
> Why is the windows server version so much better than the linux one
> for stability and functionality?

well, there was less 'porting' for the win32 server than for linux. the
big difference is in the compiler/library implementation. the code was
written/optimized basically for a single platform, and there are a few
things that are definitely faster on msvc than gcc (although i doubt
that any of these would be a real performance bottleneck)

> From: "Forrest Thiessen" <thiessen at alum.mit.edu>
> Subject: Windows XML Logging
>

> anyone have any idea how to pass bug information along to DICE
> regarding the Windows server?  Do they have something like Bugzilla
> somewhere?

the next build of a win32 server will 'just have' the changes since
they are built off of the same source base.

> From: "Patryck Winkelmolen" <Patryck.Winkelmolen at wesmoll.com>
> Subject: XML logging format -> stats generator
> To: <bf1942 at icculus.org>
> Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:49:56 +0100

> <bf:log version="1.1" xmlns:bfv="http://www.dice.se/xmlns/bfv/1.0">
> <bf:round timestamp="57.7601">
> <bf:server>
>
> Over here the parser b0rks on the namespace xmlns:bfv declaration, because
> the rest of the log uses "bf".

ooop. i don't jack about xml so this is definitely a bug when i was
pulling stuff from the bf1942 tree. the rest of the stuff that you
mention should probably be considered a bug too, but i can't do
anything about that.

> From: "Steven Hartland" <killing at multiplay.co.uk>
> Subject: Fw: gamespy query support broken server side
> To: <bf1942 at icculus.org>
> Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:15:38 -0000
>
> RE: [bf1942] BFVCC & BFVC3 ?Ok this is definitely broken server side and its only bfv tried bf1942
> and its ok if you want a test bf1942 server:
> 212.42.16.38:27301 is usually full GS query port is 27401

yes, but it isn't really in the hands of the bfv team since it is the
gamespy layer that is screwing up the data taht we're handing it.

> From: "Steven Hartland" <killing at multiplay.co.uk>
> Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:31:43 -0000
>
> Is it just me or does the win32 bfv dedicated server not work
> Either starting on its own or by dedicatedserver.exe I end
> up with an empty maplist.con and a server that doesn't run.
> Did a clean install just to check and the same thing happens.

the win32 server didn't come w/ a 'default' maplist etc. did you
actually click through all of the settings via dedicatedserver.exe?
otherwise it will try to run w/ empty files and probably die a horrible
death.

\p
---
Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
		--- Rene Descartes