[bf1942] punkbuster bans on hardware level

ståhl newiq at spray.se
Thu Jul 1 17:07:47 EDT 2004

Legally they're probably correct (yes, "probably" as in "not sure", but
eula's tend to be pretty defensively written). Which part specifically
don't you believe is legal? The hardware hash or the global ban, or
maybe both? The hardware hash is something done by the program and you
probably agree to it when you click "Yes, I agree" on the EULA before
installing PB. I don't remember the part about the global ban though.
You can start the install of PB for battlefield and see if it's covered
in it.

Otherwise, there's always the option of playing on non-PB servers. Also,
according to their own reports, they have very few false positives. A
way of getting around the global ban is maybe formatting your windows
partition and swapping network cards or some other gear with a friend of
yours because PB will have to redo the hashes, and then they will not match.

I, for one don't want to play with scumbags and punks no matter what
game it is, and I certainly don't want the previously mentioned
following me into other games to terrorize me further. If they know how
to act like first class a-holes in one game, they probably know how to
act the same in another and should therefore be punished. Imho, this is
a good addition and it'll be an improvement in quality for the
enlightened part of the gaming communities. What I don't agree with and
something that I want to change is to some sort of scoring system
instead of instant permanent ban. A system that gives a long timeban on
the first offense, and then a permanent on the second to make them think
about their actions. In comparison with jailtime instead of instant
execution which indeed is quite harsh.