[bf1942] Server Utilization

Rick Thompson fortweb at fortweb.com
Mon Feb 16 06:35:32 EST 2004

Idle gameservers do use some cpu and always have, it is not something new
with 1.6 and it is not relegated to BF servers, we see it on HL and UT
servers as well. We did noticed a slight increase with 1.5 when idle that
seems to be at worst case on the first map after startup.

It is not a big deal to us because we have enough horsepower to run all the
servers we put on any given box when all of them are full. We don't play
the average game and hope that all the servers won't fill up at once so we
don't care if it is sitting there idling at 20% or running full tilt.

Rick