[bf1942] An Open Letter to the BF1942 Community

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Sun Oct 12 14:04:01 EDT 2003

--On Sunday, October 12, 2003 7:47 PM +0200 Alex <SantaHomer at web.de> wrote:

> Dice`s Intelligence Quotient is like the watertemperature on north sea!

To be fair, Dice and EA are not alone in the property. Seems to be a
general characteristic of companies selling software. And note that these
decisions generally come from the PHB's, not us poor Dilbert's. ;)

Those who would argue for open source should instead argue for open
protocols. This is the problem not just with many games but also many
business applications, including Office. The important issue is
interoperability, allowing many participants, and that requires open
protocols. If we have proper documentation for BF's remote interfaces, then
any one of you can in principle write an open source remote manager.

I suggest those of you who want to carry on the work start by creating a
topic at lightcubed documenting what you *don't* know about the protocol,
and listing those resources that define what *is* known.

Given that, one can build an API with C and Perl bindings so that remote
managers, both Windows and Web-based, can be built.