[bf1942] An Open Letter to the BF1942 Community ( keep it positive please )

Lee Latham leeprivate at cgmlarson.com
Mon Oct 13 11:30:01 EDT 2003

I do think it bears pointing out that the game did not appear to have been
designed from the ground up to support 3rd party add-ons.  A lot of that
stuff was very clunky, especially at first, which suggests this to
me.  That, and the mods currently for sale from them suggests an almost
half-hearted adoption of 3rd party support.

As a software businessman, I would suggest to EA/DICE that it is the 3rd
party add-ons (DC, EOD, and the blackbag ops stuff, etc.) which has made
the game REALLY big.  I mean the stock bf1942 is totally badass, make no
mistake, but just as with Half-Life, the mods are quickly surpassing the
pure game in usage.
Who cares if some kid runs a 3rd party mod which you don't get any money
for if they still by bf1942 to run it?

I really think they would be better off in the medium to long term to give
away things like R2R and SW for download, but then also sell them in stores
_with_ the base game for the full $50, a la Counter Strike.  It's not like
the add-on work was in vain if you don't charge for it!

Respectfully,
Lee
Lee M. Latham
Vice Field Marshall Admiral Imperator Generalissimo of Sales and Support
(muy importante)
+1 (713) 977-4177 x.103
lee at cgmlarson.com