[bf1942] Anti cheat tool

Scratch Monkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Tue Nov 18 14:42:15 EST 2003

--On Tuesday, November 18, 2003 11:13 AM -0800 James Gurney
<james at globalmegacorp.org> wrote:

> There's stuff that could (should) be done in the server code now that would
> help. For example, the cheats that show where the opposing team are on the
> minimap wouldn't work unless that data was sent to the client - so don't
> send it in the first place. Likewise, positional data should only be sent if
> the opposing team member is within your sphere of vision. This was how
> Cheating Death worked with CS and it was highly successful.

I assume you mean that the server does a simple distance calculation, but
doesn't do any clipping calculations (which are much harder)?

If you don't send enemy position information, how is the client to render an
enemy who *is* in view?

I recommend this article on the technology of cheating:

<http://catb.org/~esr/writings/quake-cheats.html>